About the Order of Merit
All teams wishing to participate in Order of Merit Events are registered automatically. To ensure that your proper lineup in registered, please register your team through the centralized system created by CurlingZone.com.
Click here to launch the Team Registration Form
Eligible events must also register their event with the OOM via Gerry Geurts at CurlingZone. If you are aware of an event that is not registered, please direct them to Gerry Geurts. There is no fee for registering.
How you earn points
Cash Events: Any cash event in the world will be sanctioned as a OOM event based on meeting the following criteria:
- The event must have a minimum field of 12 teams for men and 10 teams for women registered no later than October 15th of the current season.
- The total cash purse per gender divided by the number of teams entered must equal a minimum factor of $300 CDN; i.e. $4500 CDN divided by 15 = 300.
- Double knockout, triple knockout & round robin pool formats are acceptable with the simple conditions that the Four Rock Free Guard Zone Rule must be used and games must be 8 or 10 ends in length. Rules variations will be considered on a case by case basis.
Teams will receive points in sanctioned events as follows (Click here for OOM Base Values Calculations)
- Men's and Women's teams must have 3 of the 4 registered players on the ice at all times to collect points. "At all times" means all ends, all games in each event.
- Team Changes - Due to the nature of testing out lineups, teams have until October 31st of the current season to finalize their lineup to earn points for the season. Should a team make a lineup change that will affect the opening season points or points earned during the season, changes will be made retroactively to reflect the new lineup.
- This point value will then be subject to the Strength of Field Multiplier (SFM). The SFM will be assigned to each event based on the quality of the participating teams. The SFM will be calculated using the Order of Merit ranking the week of the event. Strength of Field adjustments will be made up to four weeks after each event and at the end of the season to take into consideration teams who are registered late, which can change the number of points awarded in events. At the end of the season, the enture season will be re-run using the final Order of Merit teams list to create a final standings. There can be some small adjustments to the points totals when this happens at the end of the season which can affect final rankings and points.
- All events using the Order of Merit to qualify or seed teams shall consider the rankings as of Midnight of the final day of competition during the week as official.
- Due Diligence: Cash bonspiels register their events for sanctioning in good faith with the OOM. Should an event actually not deliver the minimum criteria required, the event will be taken off the board and the points will be taken away (teams will be advised when this occurs).
- Events that combine men and women, either in a single section/pool of the draw or in a section of the playoff round, are not eligible for OOM points. This means women are allowed to play, but must be inserted/seeded into the event.
- Note to cash tournament organizers: for your event to be eligible to offer OOM points, you must register the event as soon as possible with the event name, all contact information, playing dates, number of entries, format, prize purse and entry fee. You will also be required to submit a list of competing skips to the OOM no later than the day before the first day of your event. At the conclusion of the event you will also be required to submit results.